Do cats get mosquito bites? We all get annoyed by mosquitoes. We have to fight mosquito bites and their consequences. But, do mosquitoes go after cats? What are the effects of mosquito bites on cats?
Cats can get mosquito bites the same way humans do. Cats are covered in fur; therefore, mosquitoes tend to attack mainly cat’s noses and ears. The main danger for cats is not the bite in itself. It is the viruses and diseases that mosquitoes can transmit.
Let’s see what are the facts.
DO CATS GET MOSQUITO BITES DESPITE THE FUR?
Cats are luckier than humans when it comes to mosquitoes. They are covered in fur, which is a layer of protection against mosquitos. Mosquitos have to fight hard to bite them. However, if you ever dealt with mosquitos, you know that they can find the only piece of uncovered skin and bite it.
Mosquitos can attack a cat’s nose and ears since they are not covered with fur. There are some cats breed that does not have fur. Those breeds are entirely exposed to mosquito bites.
Therefore, yes, cats do gets mosquito bites. In some cases, the problem is not only the fact that a mosquito bite itch, but the viruses and diseases mosquitos carry with them. It is important to prevent mosquitos from entering the house and protect your cat from mosquito bites.
WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF A MOSQUITO BITES MY CAT?
The mosquito’s saliva is transferred to the host during the bite and can cause an itchy rash. Besides, many species can ingest pathogens while biting and transmit them to future hosts. In this way, mosquitoes are important vectors of malaria, yellow fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, dengue fever, filariasis, Zika, and other arboviruses.
Therefore mosquitos can be dangerous for cats and humans. But cats can get worms from mosquitos. Mosquitos can bite infected animals and carry the worm’s eggs to the next victim.
The type of worm that is transferred by mosquitos to cats is the heartworms. This type of worms gets to the heart and lungs, causing severe illnesses and sometimes death.
A mosquito bites an animal infected with heartworms. In the contaminated animal’s bloodstream, there are baby worms produced by heartworms already developed in the animal body.
When the mosquito bites that animal, picks up the baby worms, they are microscopical. The mosquito carries those baby worms around. The baby worm takes 14 days to mature to the point of becoming infectious.
At this point, it can be transferred to a new host with a new mosquito bite. The bite opens the skin and permits the baby worm to enter the bloodstream of the poor victim. It is gross. From here, the worm can take six months to grow up to a full size. (with males reaching about 4 to 6 inches in length and females getting about 10 to 12 inches in length)
HOW CAN I SEE IF MY CAT GOT HEARTWORMS?
The most common clinical signs of heartworms infection include:
- Intermittent vomiting (sometimes of blood as well as of food)
- Rapid and difficult breathing
- Coughing and gagging
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Distended stomach or belly due to the fluids in it
Unfortunately, heartworms are dangerous, and one could see the symptoms too late when the cat is already collapsing. Cats can display the symptoms listed above, but cats can faint and die in the most extreme cases.
In some cases, the heartworm symptoms can be mistaken for other illnesses and, therefore, never found until it is too late. The best course of prevention is to keep away mosquitos and routinely deworm cats.
HOW TO PROTECT CATS FROM MOSQUITOS?
Few things can be done to protect cats from mosquito bites. The first thing that you can do is prevent mosquitos from entering the house with appropriate window screens. The second thing is to use repellents on your cat.
Using repellents can be tricky because most of those are made of citrus and lemongrass, and other toxic substances for cats. Therefore you have to check the labels and make sure that what you are using are the right products that repel mosquitos and, at the same time, good for your cat.
Here some mosquito net and window screens that you can use:
About the product:
- Perfect Fiberglass Screen Mesh for all screening applications: new and replacement window screens, window screen repair, screen door, porch screen, patio screening, insect screening, pet screen, patio screen repair, and other professional and DIY screening applications.
- Effective Insect Screen Protection And Visibility: The window screen mesh is 18 X 16 (apertures per square inch). It serves to keep mosquitoes, bugs, insects, and other animals from entering buildings without blocking fresh air-flow. Besides, it provides over 75% of UV protection, and it isn’t easy to see through from the outside while easier to see through from the inside.
About the product:
- Magnetic Screen Door with Full Frame Hook&Loop
- Fit All Door Size Up To 48″ x 83″: If your door frame measures 46″ or less in width and 82″ or less in height, then this adjustable hanging screen door will be the perfect fit! It can be used as a replacement for a fixed screen door and fits the front, rear, interior, exterior, entry, patio, deck, porch, balcony, glass, garage, and even sliding doors.
About this product:
- Hands-Free Screen door automatically closes after you enter or exit. 18 Magnets snap shut after entry or exit.
- It helps your house stay cool when it’s hot. Fits single doors, sliding doors, and camper doors.
- To keep your family from Pesky Insects; Powerful Magnetic Gap Free Seal Automatically Snaps Shut; let the bugs and insects out and fresh air in
- The screen door “frame” has Velcro on it. The box includes a roll of the other side of Velcro with sticky tape on it.
- Great for pets.
MOSQUITO REPELLENTS FOR CATS
Here we provided some ideas for mosquito repellents for cats. We tried to find natural and non-toxic products for cats:
About this products:
- All-natural: Flea Away is a vitamin complex made to FDA human standards and specifically formulated for dogs and cats, creating a natural and safe barrier from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
- No pesticides: Flea Away repels fleas, ticks, & mosquitoes naturally, with no toxic chemicals or residue. It is safe for both the nursing mother and her litter.
- Additional benefits: Vitamin complex promotes healthier skin, reduces shedding, shinier coat, better joints, and liver-flavored.
- No more bites: The difference from alternate flea repellents is with Flea Away, fleas are naturally repelled before biting your pet.
About this product:
- HempVet is infused with Hemp Seed Oil, safely and effectively repels fleas and ticks from dogs and cats of all breeds and sizes in or outside the home.
- Its advanced formula with Lemongrass and Cinnamon essential oil works double-time to repel mosquitoes, flies, mites, lice, and many other external parasites.
- A blend of Hempseed Oil, Castor Oil, Sesame Oil, and Vitamin E works to relieve inflammation and irritation from past insect bites, moisturize the coat and cleanse and nourish the skin.
- Infused with Hemp Seed Oil is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids like omega 3 & 6 to nourish, cleanse and protect your pet’s skin from damage and free radicals.
Mosquito repellents intended for humans are not suitable for cats. Products that kill mosquitos are toxic for cats and humans.
Other things that you can do are:
- Prevent your cat from leaving the house at dawn and dusk when mosquitos are more active.
- If your area has many mosquitos, it is better to keep your cat indoors protected from the window screens. In some parts of the world, mosquitos come only in summer. Therefore cats can be let out in the other part of the year.
Now that you have taken actions to prevent mosquitos from coming into the house and arm you and your cat with repellents, you still want to make sure to give your cat routine medication to prevent heartworms. Heartworm prevention is typically administered to dogs and cats monthly. It can be given orally or topically.
You can find over-the-counter medication but check with the vet which one is sufficient. Make sure that your cat is protected, and whatever you give him, it is working.
Do cats get mosquito bites? Yes, they do. It is crucial to protect them from them to make sure they do not get sick. I hope we were able to give you good advice. If you have any questions or want to ask anything, leave it in the comment below.