Do male cats recognize their offspring and protect them like mother cats? Although the mom cat is the one who raises the kitten with no help from a male cat, and it seems that male cats are not interested in raising kittens, is it possible that a male cat has some fatherly instinct?
Male cats may recognize their offsprings in some cases, depending on the situation and personality. Typically, male cats do not participate in raising kittens. They react to their kittens based on their personalities. They could attack them, or be annoyed, or play and interact with them.
Male cats can be sweet and can also be aggressive with their kittens. Let’s go over all the details.
- 1 CAN THE FATHER CAT BE AROUND THE KITTENS?
- 2 AT WHAT AGE ARE KITTENS SAFE FROM TOMCAT?
- 3 DO MALE CATS RECOGNIZE THEIR OFFSPRINGS AFTER A WHILE?
- 4 HOW TO PROTECT STRAY KITTENS FROM A MALE CAT?
- 5 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CAN THE FATHER CAT BE AROUND THE KITTENS?
In most cases, father cats can be around kittens without problems. In some cases, a father cat can be aggressive or doesn’t want to be bothered. For this reason, it is essential to supervise the first interactions to make sure the father cat is not being aggressive and gets accustomed to his kittens.
Male cats have a reputation for being aggressive around kittens and killing them, which would explain why most female cats do not let other cats approach their babies. But, it is not always the case.
In fact, testimonies of many people growing up with cats, only a few cats are aggressive around kittens or their own kittens. It seems that feral cats or wild cats are more likely to act that way.
It is more likely that indoor cats living with a female cat are more likely to be more gentle with kittens, tolerate them or even be gentle and play with them. Some cats have been seen to understand when a female cat is pregnant and act to protect her and protect the kittens once they are born.
Finally, it really depends from the cat personality and upbringing, how he is going to behave around his own kittens and kittens in general.
AT WHAT AGE ARE KITTENS SAFE FROM TOMCAT?
If you do not know if a male cat or a tomcat will attack newborn kittens, it is better to keep the mother cat and kittens in a safe and closed place until the kittens are old enough to protect themselves.
Kittens or young cats are not safe from a tomcat until they are grown up. Thus they should be protected. But when they are 4-6 months old, they can run and find places to hide. At that point, they have played with their siblings and have an idea of how to run and jump.
Tomcats have different personalities. Some may not be necessarily aggressive. If they need to interact with the kittens for any reason, they should be supervised. The mother cat may already do a good job protecting her babies, but she may not always be there.
It can happen that when the kittens are a few months old, the tomcat ignores them, and he will stay away from them as long as the kittens are not bothering him.
DO MALE CATS RECOGNIZE THEIR OFFSPRINGS AFTER A WHILE?
Some male cats recognize pregnancy in a female cat and can recognize when the female has kittens. It is impossible to state that a cat knows that those kittens are his own, but some cats give us a clue by being protective of them and the mother cat. On an instinct level, they must know.
Cats are different, so not all cats are that good with kittens. Some father cats have been seen licking mother cats and helping mom groom the kittens. They are obviously being allowed by the mother cat. But, to have such a sweet family portrait when it comes to cats is uncommon.
The more common scene is the mom taking care of the kittens, with the father cat not being involved. When kittens are grown, the father cat can help them with grooming and playing, ignore them, or be aggressive.
Male cats can be very sweet with young cats, whether they are their own kittens or not. It really depends on the cat’s personality.
HOW TO PROTECT STRAY KITTENS FROM A MALE CAT?
Protecting stray kittens from a male cat or tomcat means you can do a couple of things. One is to relocate the mother cat, and the kittens in a secure (and closed) place or indoor and make sure the tomcat will not find a way in.
The other, and maybe more difficult, would be to find a way to capture the tomcat and relocate him in another place and when possible fix the tomcat. It is easier to bring kittens and the mother cat in an inaccessible place.
Cats are pretty smart and can find their way in a place if they smell the presence of another cat or kittens. Possibly, indoor is the best solution.
If you have indoor cats, separating the male cat from the rest of the kittens can be as easy as closing a door.
Additional things that can be done, if you have a garden, are:
- Use motion sensor sprinklers that can be activated as soon as someone comes close.
- Use ultrasonic devices that are activated by motion sensors.
- Use natural deterrents to keep cats away.
Here are some tools that can be used:
About the product:
- It keeps at bay stray animals and keeps your family and pets safe
- It is a state-of-the-art ultrasonic technology that creates a powerful ultrasonic wave, accompanied simultaneously by an alarm sound and flashlights. The built-in motion detection sensor is highly sensitive and will trigger at an angle of 110 degrees and 20-25 yards distance range for maximum performance
- Solar Animal Repeller drive away animals without any chemicals. It uses 13.5kHz-45.5kHz ultrasound to drive them away. It will not have any harm to the human body. And will not hurt your own cats, dogs, or other pets
- It is easy to install, providing multiple mounting options.
About this product:
- The product uses solar energy to charge the battery. It can be charged with an adapter, suitable for places where it is difficult to provide power, such as farms, gardens, lawns, nurseries, manors, and orchards.
- It is designed with two hanging holes. Fix the spike stake on the unit that allows you to hang on objects such as trees, fences, and walls to ensure the best effect.
- You can set different sensitivity modes and set the mode according to your needs. Other frequencies can be effectively applied to different animals. You can set the frequency to determine the range area.
- Thanos Animal Repeller eliminates animals by emitting a mixture of ultrasonic and powerful flashing LED strobe lights. Very effective to repel cats, mice, foxes, raccoons, badgers, skunks, rodents, boar, marten, etc.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers:
Do male cats mate with their daughters?
Cats, and therefore male cats too, try to mate with cats outside their “family.” Female cats use to send their kittens away as soon as they grow up, so they can go out and find another male cat. The male cat instinctively does the same. But if they do not find other females, male cats can mate with their daughters and siblings.
Do male cats bond with their kittens?
Male cats can be gentle and playful with their kittens and bond with them. But, it is not that common. Female cats take care of raising kittens usually. Male cats can participate in the grooming and protection of the kittens and play with them.
Do father cats love their kittens?
Some male cats have been seen to groom, play and protect their kittens. Therefore it is undoubted that even male cats care for kittens and love them.